Unconstant Conjunction latest posts

Exporting Clock Entries from org-mode to CSV

If you’ve used the clocking features of org-mode, you’re no doubt familiar with the clock table, which allows you to summarise time spent on different tasks. This is great for getting an overview of projects, but it’s not a very flexible tool if you want to have a more detailed idea of how you spend your time.

At this point I’ve accumulated about a year’s worth of clocked work time in org, and while clock tables have served me well so far, eventually I just wanted to get my data into R or Python for more minute analysis, and charts like the following:

Calendar heatmap example

However, I haven’t come across a reliable1 way to get individual clock entries out of org-mode files and into a more widely readable format. So I’ve written one.

Continue Reading →

Expressing L-systems in Rust

I thought I’d jump on the Rust blogging bandwagon. Specifically, I’ve been toying with a new library to define and iterate over L-systems in a unique and Rust-inspired fashion. It’s been very rewarding to fool around with a type system so foreign to my roots in duck- and weakly-typed languages.

If you haven’t heard of L-systems before, they’re mostly used to make pretty pictures. I was able to create a little animation of the first seven iterations of an L-system that draws Penrose tiles (below).

Penrose Tile L-system

L-systems have put them to a variety of different uses, including modelling plants and trees, buildings and cities, and all manner of interesting geometric constructions. They hold their fascination in part because of the way in which a very small number of basic components and rules can evolve in startling ways over time. In other words, L-systems put emergence on display.

Continue Reading →

Writing a Web Scraper

Okay, so I know everyone’s written some kind of web scraper in their time, but I’m still proud of myself for my own take on the subject.

Recently, I saw an interesting post on Reddit that provided some source code for scraping images based on the similarity of their names. This might be useful for downloading all of the images in a gallery (for example, if you want to keep something posted on Imgur) without having to follow all of the links by hand. However, there was quite a lot of it missing, it relied on some random site, and it was bad at handling all kinds of common use cases: for example, thumbnails.

So I rewrote it. And expanded it. Massively. The current usage output is

Usage:
  galleryscraper.py URL DIR [--threads N --log-level N -q -s]
  galleryscraper.py -h | --help | --version

Options:
      --threads N        the number of threads to use [default: 4]
  -V, --log-level N      the level of info logged to the console, which can be
                         one of INFO, DEBUG, or WARNING [default: INFO]
  -s, --skip-duplicates  ignore files that have been downloaded already
  -q, --quiet            suppress output to console
  -v, --version          show program's version number and exit
  -h, --help             show this help message and exit

Continue Reading →

An Update on the Libnoise Wrapper

NoisyPy Perlin Demo

I’ve gotten a good chunk of the Libnoise wrapper working. And despite several sessions of head-against-wall bugs, my SIP and disutils setup seems to be working nicely. Some of the C++ code in noiseutils.h (which comes with the Libnoise examples) is quite outdated, so I wrote several of my own output functions in pure C++. This also gave me the opportunity to write exporters to OpenGL textures, which seem to work seamlessly with Pyglet. I should have a whole directory of examples up and running shortly, drawing from the standard Libnoise examples and as well as demonstrations of OpenGL textures.

Continue Reading →